Spray Painting Outdoor Light Fixtures


I’ve found a pattern in myself. It’s always the quick and easy projects I seem to put off. Especially those that smack you in the face every day. Why? I guess I like a challenge (!?). There’s no rhyme or reason to it, but every time I finish up one of those simple projects I say to myself, “Self, why the heck didn’t you do this eons ago?” Then my Self just kind of sits there and grins at me, mockingly. Enough inside my internal conversations, let’s get to the project!

This project involved our outdoor front door lights.

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

I never liked them. They were a rusty red. In fact, I thought that they were rusted so I was planning on just replacing them. We actually had narrowed down the lights we were going to buy. Until my spray paint trigger finger got a little feisty and I said to my Self, “Why don’t we give this whole spray painting idea a little whirl?” That’s about all it took for me to get excited about the idea and run to the store to buy Valspar indoor/outdoor black satin spray paint.

spray-painting-front-lights

First I cleaned up those incredibly filthy lights. I couldn’t really tell since that rusty red color just always looks dirty, but there was definitely a lovely layer of grime all over those suckers. Amazingly enough, I liked them less once they were clean. A little too speckled for my taste.

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

The hardest part (although it wasn’t really hard) of this project was actually the prep work (it always seems to be this way). I wanted to ensure that I didn’t get black paint all over our brick so I did a two-step prepping process. First, I used painters tape to tape around the base of the lights. Yep, those suckers are staying on the wall. It’s easier that way.

Then, I ripped up some plastic bags (phew, good thing I had some left over from my plastic bag pillow stuffing endeavor) and tape those around the lights. Gotta watch out for that over spray! Make sure you tape up the inside of the lights too around the socket. I stuffed newspaper in them and then taped over them.

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

Finally I was able to get to my favorite part of this project – spraying them down. Well that went quickly (under a minute for each light) and used almost no paint. That’s a win!

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

After letting them dry and doing a few little touch-ups, these bright lights were back in business!

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

Isn’t it amazing what the little touches do to a home? I love how the black light fixtures and black shutters really help bring the front of the house together.

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

Can you spy the photo bomber in the next few pictures? I had no idea this was happening while taking the pictures. I guess I was too focused on the light fixtures. But these ended up being my absolute favorite pictures.

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

Not bad for a $4 can of spray paint and under an hour’s worth of work! Let’s see the before and after just one more time.

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights

spray-painting-front-lights


  • Much, much better! What a simple thing that makes such a big difference!ReplyCancel

    • Thanks Catherine! I’m so happy with the result!ReplyCancel

    • Susette

      Where did the Hello on the door go???ReplyCancel

      • Haha. I was wondering when someone was going to comment about that! Well we are in the process of still debating it in our household. Eric’s been on the fence on if he’s a fan of it so initially it was just taped up to get a feel for it. But I’ve been meaning to actually just put it up!ReplyCancel

  • Jeanette

    I am a late comer to following your projects. I like what you have done with your space and projects you have done to lift the spirit of the sun room. I believe you have not only lifted the spirit of the sun room but yours and now mine for sharing what you are doing. It is truly an inspiration! Really like the care in detail you are showing in not only the process for the project but doing it in clear pictures step by step. Your bright sunny attitude and style is starting to show through and making a place that is fun and enjoyable to be in. These are jobs well done Megan, keep up the good work. Love the way the front porch lights turned out too. I agree with you, that red speckled did not do much for the look of the porch. The black is a nice touch.
    I really got a good giggle out of the face in the window of the door! My opinion for what it’s worth is put hello on the door. Your family members will come to love it in time and will be glad you did. It is a good marker for describing your house from the neighbors to first time guests.
    Suggestion for your craftiness is to make a beautiful wreath or wall hanging with the red, black, sparkly gold and fall colors bringing in other colors from the porch to hang beside the front door. Pinterest has some very nice ones with instructions when you click on it. Keep up the good work my crafty friend! Love seeing your progress!ReplyCancel

    • Thank you SO MUCH for your wonderful comment and all your great suggestions! I totally agree with the “hello” going back on the door. The wreath is a great idea too. I do need to do something for fall! I’m also so glad you think I lifted the spirit of the sun room and our house. That just warms my heart! I want to lift spirits everywhere! So glad to have you as a reader!!ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

*

*